The Research Blood Collection Suite is intended to be a campus-wide facility for the safe collection of donor blood. The Suite does not provide donors for specific research projects.
- All research projects must have an active approval from the UBC Clinical Research Ethics Board and a copy of the current ethics approval certificate must be provided to the collections staff; note that these approvals require annual renewal from UBC.To obtain ethics approval for human blood collections, researchers should apply to the UBC Clinical Research Ethics Board (CREB). All submissions and departmental approval of ethics applications to the CREB must use Researcher Information Services (RISe) system (rise.ubc.ca). There are tutorials and reference sample forms available on the RISe website to help you with your application. The CREB meets twice a month to review applications. For a schedule of application deadlines and meeting dates please refer to the Office of Research Services website (www.ors.ubc.ca/).
- The Suite does not provide donors for specific research projects; investigators should identify their own donor(s).
- All research subjects donating blood at the Research Blood Collection Suite must provide signed informed consent at the time of donation.
- A fee of $8.00/blood draw will be charged to recover costs associated with Vacutainer tube collections.
- Access to blood cell analytical instruments is by appointment only and requires the presence of laboratory staff responsible for the operation of the equipment.